The Experience You Want, The Results You Need
Legal Professionals of Fanelli, Evans & Patel, P.C

What do I do if hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist?

Being involved in a car accident can be traumatic enough but, after unexpectedly being hit in a car accident, it can be overwhelming to discover the other driver does not have car insurance. You may wonder what to do and the answer is that uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist insurance coverage can help. Uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage can help with the damages suffered in an uninsured motorist accident.

Drivers are required to carry certain minimums of insurance coverage but they do not always. When you have been hit by an uninsured motorist or an underinsured motorist, your insurance may pay for your damages if the uninsured driver was negligent and caused the accident; the other driver is uninsured or underinsured to properly compensate you for your damages; or if you have been the victim of a hit and run accident.

As is true of any car accident, victims may suffer physical, financial and emotional damages as a result. When they have been harmed by a negligent driver, the personal injury legal process provides resources that allow them to seek compensation for the damages they have suffered from the negligent driver responsible. Damages may include medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering damages and insurance companies are commonly involved in the process.

Uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist claims, though it may not initially seem like it, can be challenging. It is helpful to have trained guidance through an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim to help ensure the victim receives the compensation they need to help with the physical, financial and emotional damages suffered in the accident.

Source:, “Uninsured Motorist Insurance Coverage and Claims,” Accessed Sept. 10, 2017